Telford and Wrekin Climate Change Champion
Suitable for -
Do you want to help Borough residents to start talking about Climate Change and Sustainability and to take action?
We are looking for volunteers to be Telford and Wrekin’s first Climate Change Champions, these individuals will be willing to help the Council in a variety of ways to help engage Borough residents on Climate Change and Sustainability within their own communities, schools and groups.
You don't need to be a Climate Change and Sustainability expert - we want to hear from residents from all walks of life who love talking to people.
We would ideally like our Champions to make changes to their own lifestyles to reduce their carbon footprint and plastic as part of the role and to share your experiences.
Purpose of the role:
Climate Change Champions will be individuals who seek to help lead sustainable change in their communities.
Climate Change Champions will be a vital part of our delivery of Climate Change and Sustainability engagement within the Borough.
What will you do?
Promote Climate Change & Sustainability
The core function of the role will be to promote Climate Change and Sustainability, by encouraging effective resource use and leading by example to help Borough residents do the same thorough;
- sharing information with members of your community on how they can get involved;
- promoting local/national Climate Change and Sustainability campaigns;
- helping the Council to promote Council Climate Change and Sustainability consultations/questionnaires/surveys to your communities.
Climate Change Champions Group
- You will be part of a group of like-minded individuals from across the Borough, where you will have the opportunity to collaborate on projects, such as participating in Action Days where you will work together on initiatives such as litter picks, Refill days.
- We would love to know what you and/or your community/organisation/school are doing to support Climate Change and Sustainability action within Telford and Wrekin, as such we would like all Champions to keep us up to date with what is happening. This can be done by podcasts/writing blog posts/or articles for the Sustainable Telford and Wrekin website or sharing photos with our twitter page in line with the Councils social media guidelines.
What do you need to have?
We only ask that you are:
- enthusiastic about Climate Change and Sustainability, and are willing to learn more about current global issues
- able to commit a certain amount of time to the role
Successful champions will tend to have the following attributes:
The “perfect” Climate Change champion isn’t someone that necessarily has all of the above however they are someone that wants to learn and is able to bring people together that have additional skills and can enable them to get involved.
How much time do you need to give?
The time commitment required for this role is around 30 – 60 minutes a week, however this is not every week and is flexible.
What’s in it for you?
- Take part in community actions and be part of a group of like-minded individuals
- Develop your skill set/enhance your employability - Champions will be able to access training through the Council’s online learning platform OLLIE
- Costs incurred for travel will be reimbursed where appropriate
- Influence and drive the change you wish to see
- Be rewarded and recognised for your work
- Have fun!
How will you be supported?
Climate Change Champions will be supported and supervised through Windows Teams or by telephone by the Climate Change & Sustainability Coordinator