Telford PDSA Office Volunteer Photo Library Assistant
Suitable for -
Are you organised and pro-active? Do you love photographs and like to use editing software?
We are PDSA, the UK’s leading veterinary charity treating sick and injured pets of people in need. Our vision is A Lifetime of Wellbeing for Every Pet. Our Pet Hospitals are vital in helping us to deliver our mission carrying out over 2.7million treatments on more than 470,000 sick and injured pets each year.
Our small team of award winning Photo Library volunteers, based at Head Office in Priorslee, need more volunteers to help them for a few hours per week. They’re working on a project to scan, edit and catalogue over 100 years of PDSA images – and each one tell a story, if someone like you can help us to do so.
If you love looking at photographs and have a keen eye for detail, you’ll be successful in this role. We’ll provide the right equipment and training for you to scan photos to a high standard and teach you how to edit them in Photoshop correctly afterwards – or you might be happier helping us to describe what you can see, in order to improve our searching facilities? A knowledge of popular cat and dog breeds is definitely an advantage, as you'll be working with lots of pet photos!
Volunteer Role: Photo Library Assistant
Purpose: The Photo Library Assistant supports the Marketing team to catalogue PDSA’s collections of images, by scanning prints, uploading them to an on-line library and assigning relevant keywords to each image. Our images are used extensively in our literature, on our website and in internal documents. This role will involve sorting through all our images to ensure they are easy to find by end-users.
Location: Photo Library Team, Head Office
Hours: Specific hours can be arranged around you and the other volunteers, but a regular and reliable commitment is needed in order for to provide the right level of training. Our offices are open between 9am-5pm Monday-Friday.
Duties: Support the Photo Library Team to build our photo library by:
• Sort through and organise our existing photos – of pets, people and places – in to relevant collections.
• Scan our archive of printed photographs, cleaning digital versions using editing software.
• Checking the quality of images – from the format and file size to the colour, focus and content of the image.
• Upload images to our photo library, while checking and categorising the imagery using agreed keywords.
• Administer our existing images on the library, report any issues and suggest improvements.
• Keep accurate records - to make sure all the paperwork relating to the photo library is up to date (e.g. model releases and copyright information).
• Assist new and existing users of the photo library.
• Compliance with all our policies and procedures including Health and Safety and data protection.
• This list shows some but not all of the duties you may be involved with.
Role-specific knowledge & Personal skills
• An eye for what makes a good picture
• Knowledge of image formats and their use
• Able to listen and take direction
• Reliable, conscientious and proactive
• Ability to work independently or with the team
• Computer literacy (editing software would be an advantage)
• Eye for detail
• Excellent spelling
• Knowledge of popular cat and dog breeds would be an advantage