Care Leaver Mentor
Suitable for -
Care leaver mentor will provide one to one support and encouragement to a Care Leaver who is receiving support from Children’s Safeguarding and Family Support.
The Care Leaver Mentor programme aims to guide and motivate Care Leavers through the next phase of their lives, provide a positive informal relationship which encourages the development of communication, commitment, personal development.
There will be an initial induction event where we will be able to provide further information about the role and answer any questions before you apply for this role. We will provide training and supervision to our volunteers to enable them to carry out the role.
- Volunteers for this role will need to be caring, enthusiastic and have a flexible approach with young people who at times can be challenging.
- Good listening and communication skills and a commitment to supporting, young people
- No specific experience is necessary as training will be provided on all aspects of the role and additional shadowing sessions can be arranged.
- Enthusiasm and a willingness to get stuck in alongside the young people is vital.
- A willingness to travel to agreed locations in the area.
- Ability to use a phone (Tools to be provided)
- Ability to drive (Millage will be reimbursed)
We know that people give their time for many different reasons and that their availability varies, so we support our volunteers to give as much time or as little as they can. The commitment will vary depending on the Care leaver and a plan will be decided prior to commencing the role or support.
Telford and Wrekin Council welcomes applications from the whole community in particular we want to encourage applications from men and people who are available during the working day.